Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wicked Wiki-Waki Cake

I received this depression-era recipe from one of my patients, and boy am I glad they decided to share this with me.

Wiki-Waki (or Wacky) Cake apparently originated in the Great Depression, when oil and eggs were not affordable - and therefore not readily stocked in people's homes.  As a result, the need for a creative cake recipe that did not call for such ingedients was fulfilled by Wacky Cake.  I had never even heard of this cake prior to my patient sharing this with me...so an intrigued me decided to make this yesterday (it also happened to be my grandma's 78th birthday...nice coincidence).  This cake is so deliciously moist and dense - almost a brownie-like texture.  I just had another piece tonight - and am already looking forward to having more tomorrow.  For the icing, I just used ready made milk chocolate icing...you can make your own glaze or spreadable icing, or more simply, just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.  I will also say that I do not own a sifter - so I just made sure the dry ingredients were mixed really, really well.  Also - do not be alarmed when the addition of vinegar makes the dry mixture fizz and bubble a bit.  Enjoy!

Here is the recipe:

Wiki-Waki Cake

You will need:

3 3/8 cup flour                                  2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cup sugar                                 2 3/4 Tablespoon vinegar
4 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa                    3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 teaspoon salt                               2 1/4 cup cold water
2 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a 13x9 pan.  Sift dry ingredients well; add wet ingredients.  Beat 2 minutes by hand.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. 

XOXO........................................Tiff. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! i can totally make this cake right now even though we haven't gone grocery shopping yet. :)

    i will now follow you. follow my blog too? thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, I cant wait to try this!Thanks for sharing this recipe.If you won't mind, I'd really love to guide foodista readers to your site. Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and you're all set. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this cake is awesome i make it here in chile :D

    ReplyDelete